Friday, January 25, 2013

22 - Duplicate Ticketing, A Night in Rotterdam


 
HOTEL NEW YORK, Rotterdam 2012


The original turn-of-the-century stairwell at the Hotel New York

Brenda and I went to Rotterdam in the Fall, where we stayed at the Hotel New York.  It was the first time I had been there since 1997.

Actually, the trip was the result of yet another example of what one might call age-moments.   I prefer not to call them OLD age moments, though I am certainly not fooling myself, let alone anyone else. 

It is my memory, it keeps giving out on me.  A prime example would be a trip to the refrigerator only to forget what I’m looking for.  Or a click into google, then blank!   The only encouraging part of the problem is that these “irritations” seem to have been going on for at least a quarter of a century.

Be that as it may, in arranging a trip last summer to Amsterdam (a very pleasant stay at the newly converted Canal House and excellent reconnecting visit with early-Paris friends Martin and Marina Woods), I completely forgot that we had already bought the train tickets, and I managed to purchase a second, non-refundable set for the same trip on the same dates.  That was taking what had heretofore been fairly routine forgetfulness a giant step further!


Ultimately, we put a good face on the confusion.  Although the tickets were non-refundable, we were allowed to make ONE change.   We decided to use the duplicate tickets in October and to get off at Rotterdam, last stop before Amsterdam. The Woods joining us for another lunch added a finishing touch to the happy ending.

As hotels go, the New York has a most atypical history.  Before being converted into a hotel around 20 years ago, the old fashioned 1900 structure had served for nearly a century as the corporate headquarters of the Holland America Shipping Line.

In the early years, the building was also used to process and board transatlantic passengers .


Holland America's original S.S. Statendam 1918  (we took its descendant last year through the Panama Canal)

The Dutch line's name, itself, conjures up an unending stream of European immigrants who started there around the end of the 19th Century, before embarking for the Promised Land and its streets paved with gold.  Many hundreds of thousands passed through what has now become the Hotel New York before heading for the U.S.A. and their new life.





When it was converted into a trendy hotel in the 1990's, the new owners kept most of the dynamics intact.  As a result, several of the old board rooms have been transformed  into unique oversized bedrooms.  


Room 207 with panaromic view of the river


 The hotel still exudes a decidedly nautical atmosphere in many, subtle ways.  Deck chairs, wooden chaises longues and old cabin trunks, which furnish the common areas, give the feeling of excitement of embarking on a sea voyage.  Photos and photographic murals everywhere reflect past glories of the Dutch line and its transatlantic crossings.

On my first visit 15 years ago, the hotel stood almost alone on its tip of the island off mainland Rotterdam.  Today it is engulfed and dwarfed by surrounding skyscrapers that give it an almost surreal effect. 


The New York seen from the hotel's motor launch


Brenda at Het Park, Rotterdam
 It is not a service-oriented hotel, but is an especially friendly one, boasting excellent value for money with competitive prices and some spectacular rooms with stunning views.  There is something peculiarly and satisfyingly Dutch about its blend of style and comfort with a welcome lack of chi-chi.   


  Now if I could just remember where I put those tickets back to Paris! 


With Brenda and Marina (right) in a somewhat elongated room 207 (photo Martin Woods)


-o- 




SIDEBAR --CARGO CRUISING FROM ROTTERDAM

The Sloman Commander off the Norwegian coast

     My first encounter with the Hotel New York was just over 15 years ago, while waiting to board a cargo ship for Norwegian fjords country.    It was an experiment in freighter travel with an eye towards longer and more ambitious voyages, and unfortunately it didn’t quite work out. 

Captain of the Sloman


The trip was a disappointment, mainly because of its boredom quotient.  Arriving  three days late for its Rotterdam departure (you just have to wait on your own dime until it gets there), the old freighter sped through its announced route at breakneck pace, eliminating all stops other than those mandatory for discharging its cargo.  

Consequently, on the few ports of call during the six-day journey to Norway and back, we were so rushed that it was generally impossible to leave the ship.  


a very untalented ship's cook

Cabins let to passengers on cargos are inevitably those normally assigned to senior officers, so they tend to be spacious and comfortable.  Mine was no exception. It boasted two large portholes, which would have afforded me an enviable view from bed.  As luck had it, they were both totally blocked by dark wooden crates which were only discharged the last afternoon of the trip.

I also have a less than happy memory of what I can describe with no risk of exaggeration as prison-quality food (though after several days of declining much of it, I was only too glad to eat anything available as the days wore on).

Although registered in St Johns for tax reasons, the Sloman Commander was German owned.  Its crew, however, were all Russian, with only the captain speaking a smattering of English.  Otherwise, communication was nil!  



I do nevertheless look back with a certain nostalgia, reviewing the photos that I took of each of the crew members (I never learned any of their names).  Seeing these “portraits” today, you get the feeling of one big happy, communicative family. 
  
 


Your input is welcomed:  hotel-musings@hotmail.fr

  [Photos are mine, unless otherwise credited]


16 comments:

Fiona. said...

I believe my 'forgetful quarter' has already started. I love you Frank8

Rosanne said...

That's a funny tale about the freighter trip but look what fun it has been retelling the tale (probably more than once!).
As for being memory challenged - I have just paid the same credit card off twice (one week apart) with absolutely no memory of doing it either time......on the upside, I am now in credit!!

France Forever 24/7 said...

Such an amusing story! Glad you could use the duplicate tickets - as for memory lapses, we are in the same (freighter) boat :)

Frank Pleasants said...

thnx to fiona, rosanne and kim (france forever 24/7) for your humorous reactions. I am beginning to see that I am NOT alone!

Richard Pleasants said...

enjoyed trip to Holland and suppose I will have to join that same "boat".
Dickie

Lorna in New Caledonia said...

Lovely blog !

Martin in Amsterdam said...

For one strange moment I imagined that Chef Michael might have been the cook on your Russian 'pleasure cruise', however, it was only a senior moment. So glad we reconnected and in what an obscure and fascinating location. Thank you Frank.

Marina in Amsterdam said...

It's so nice to be reconnected with you, Frank, and of course to meet Brenda. Look forward to seeing you both again this year.

Kasey in Southern Pines said...

I am constantly amazed at your art and photo collection. It adds so much to your writings. Thank you again for taking the time and effort to entertain us all. From icy, sleety, and cold Southern Pines NC

Frank Pleasants said...

Thanks, Kasey. Its been icy, snowy and cold in Paris, too. For the moment it is just cold. Very, very cold!

Kathy in Red Bank said...

Frank, I remember your telling me the story of your cargo ship adventure. And how we laughed!

I seem to remember your telling me that, when the ship finally did remain in one port for a little while, you disembarked to do some siteseeing. You were thrilled to be off the ship. You had been told that the ship would be in port for a considerable amount of time. And then, for whatever reason, the captain decided to set sail and you had to hustle to get back on board and you almost got stranded. Since my memory is hazy, too, wasn’t there a siren to signal the return to ship after you had been on land for only 15 minutes or so?? I may be making this entire story up!!

Please comment.

Frank Pleasants said...

Thanks, Kathy, for jogging my memory. I do remember the siren, and I think it was about the only place I was allowed to get off (except for a very unpicturesque ammunitions factory in Norway where we spent a day!) and where we were prevented from leaving the grounds by armed guards.

I don't remember where my fifteen-minute tourist stop was or even in what country, but I had pretty much blocked it out until today.

Jen in Sydney said...

As always, interesting and amusing. Glad I am not the only one with a memory problem!

Sue in Connecticut said...

I love your travel stories.....the aforementioned will be one trip I'd avoid. The food and view did NOT sound fabulous!!! Paris would work better for me.

Jenny in Fayetteville, N.C. said...

Sorry about your memory, but nice to know you are human. With all the detail you have written about in the last 35 years of travel, it is reassuring that I am not alone.

nathan said...

nice pictures!