Friday, December 14, 2012

16 - A Momentous Long Distance Call


 
CLARIDGE’S HOTEL, London


Luxurious living at Claridge's,  if only for a day or two ...  
     
      At Claridge’s, the innovative Christopher Cowdray, the London hotel’s general manager between 1998 and 2004, once inaugurated a particularly democratic program whereby every full-time employee spent a night as guest of the hotel.

Michael, one of the French waiters at the time, was among the first to avail himself of the opportunity, and he and his wife were thrilled with their stay.  They were given a beautiful suite with flowers and champagne.  He told me it had completely transformed his concept of life at Claridge’s.


Christopher Cowdray  (Google archives)

I never actually met Mr. Cowdray, though I have long followed his career with interest, and once I did have a thrilling long distance conversation with him.

I had spent a weekend in London with my friend Marguerite in 1998.  We had profited from one of those unbeatable suite-weekend packages.  It was a period of recession and it was the kind of deal you just don’t find any longer.

Marguerite in apartment 115
 
We had a great time, and the suite was spacious and gorgeous.  Then towards the end of our stay we had a couple of oddly incongruous mishaps. 


Exceptional room details
Marguerite had a loose button on her jacket, and we called Housekeeping to request a needle and thread.  We were pretty dumbfounded when told that neither were available.  Coming from a hotel that prided itself on opening up amusement parks at two in the morning for middle eastern royalty, the impossibility of finding so much as a needle and thread was disconcerting.

On our last morning, arriving back from a trip to the flea market, we discovered three men in overalls with their hammers and various power tools spread out over the bedroom floor.  They had removed one of the doors and were in the process of transforming our suite into a larger apartment for the next guests.   Someone had prematurely decided we had already vacated the premises.  

We decided to write to the management, and I set out our grievances with a maximum of humor, emphasizing that it was only my affection for Claridge’s that prodded me to share this less than perfect experience.

Whenever I write, and for whatever reason, I always aim for the top man on the totem pole, though never sure he’ll actually see my missive.  I sent the letter on a Monday to the very top, Christopher Cowdray.

When the telephone rang early Wednesday morning, the excitement was almost too much for me to bear.  It was the managing director, himself.

After profusely thanking me for my letter, he said (and I'll never forget his choice of words) he was “absolutely devastated” to learn of my recent trials and tribulations.

Had Louis B. Mayer been on the other end of the line, entreating me to sign a seven-year Hollywood contract, I wouldn’t have been more excited.  Mr. Cowdray invited me to contact him directly for all future bookings, and he further proposed a highly advantageous promotion if I’d give them another try.  

I felt a little guilty, as I had had a splendid time already, even without locating a needle and thread.  At any rate, my next visit was impeccable, and the suite had its fair share of flowers and fruits and little notes from various managers welcoming me back. 

It was several years afterwards that Mr. Cowdray’s rather brilliant career took him elsewhere, and I must say Claridge’s has never seemed quite as tip-top since.


-o-



Your input is welcomed:  hotel-musings@hotmail.fr

Next Friday:  "Christmas away from home"

  [Photos are mine, unless otherwise credited]



CROSS REFERENCING … a look at other postings
Christopher Cowdray is also featured in:  blog No. 39, "Living It Up On Park Lane!" May 31, 2013 (to access, click on above title).



13 comments:

24/7 in France said...

Never hurts to shoot for the top and your amusing story proves it can be rewarding in various ways!

Rosanne in New South Wales, Australia said...

Frank, I had a great laugh ... what a good manager Christopher C. was! Customer service to perfection, and what a shame it doesn't happen more often. Thanks for the tale. Cheers!



Richard Pleasants said...

in my opinion the Claridges Musing is the very best so far. A great way to begin my morning.
Dickie

Christopher Cowdray said...

You really have made my day - it was only this morning that I was reminiscing with my wife about my time at Claridge's.

Thank you so much for including me in your posting. It brings back very fond memories of my time at Claridge's and most importantly it is most gratifying that I was able to make a difference which you so much appreciated.

Marguerite in Paris said...

Quel beau voyage. Quel bel endroit. Merci de ce bon souvenir.

Jen in Sydney said...

I once visited the foyer at Claridges, only to be able to say I had "been to Claridges”.

Not being able to find a needle and thread is entirely my concept of the hotel. You are not supposed to mend things, just throw them away and get new things. As for the room disaster, you did exactly the right thing by introducing humour in to the grievance. Look at the response you got!

My darling grandmother used to give us so much good advice. I was once so angry with someone about an incident. I told her I was going to write a nasty letter. She said to always calm down, then make your complaint but always bring in a little humour and maybe a compliment or two. It’s incredible the way people respond to this. When I don’t follow this advice I regret it and put up a silent apology to my grandmother!
Looking forward to "Christmas away from home."

Christie in Ridgewood, N.J. said...

Thank you so much for adding me to your list. Each new entry brightens my week, and I enjoy scrolling down to reread the previous posts.

A compilation of "Hotel Musings" would make a splendid coffee table book. If you ever decide to publish, I’ll be in line to purchase a first edition. (Signed, I hope!)

Frank Pleasants said...

Thank you, Christie. I think the publishing part would not be so easy, but the thought is flattering. Do keep reading!

NYC said...

another great post! For me, Claridges has always been at the top of a very special list.

Annie in Paris said...

Merci pour ton envoi plein de photos.
Tu devrais publier un livre!

Annie in Washington said...

Love your hotel musings. Keep it up.

Mike in Washington said...

This is wonderful. i hope your blog is getting pick up. As you know, I am not a big hotel afficianado, but many people are, and the guidance is wonderful.

nathan said...

you sent the letter to christopher cowdray himself!